Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tag Lines are Torture

I found out last week that I need to add a tag line and a flame rating to my cover art questionnaire for my publisher.  Since I didn't know what either of those were, I had to look them up and the tag line requirement was intimidating.  I needed to distill a nearly 80,000 word book into twenty five words or less.  Words that would make someone intrigued enough to buy it outright, or at least intrigued enough to read the blurb that I have already posted here.  Gagh!  I thought writing a one hundred and fifty page blurb was hard.
After much moaning and groaning (and not the good kind), I came up with this:

She's lost her friend.
He's there to find him.
What they discover will change their lives.

It sets up conflict and goals for my protagonists and it's under the word limit.  I can't decide if I should include the character's names or not.  At this point I'm thinking it's better without them.  More punchy.
Next will be determining the flame rating.  I'll let you know how that goes once I get some guidance from my publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment