Eight minutes ago I finished editing/rewriting another one of my manuscripts. It took about two weeks to go through it and I cut about five thousand words and decided not to do a few extra things but I really like it now. I need to come up with a final, declarative scene and then I will be well within my goal of being able to send it out to some publishers by the end of the week. Whew!
In mid-December I decided to go ahead and spend some time polishing one of my completed pieces rather that continue to mess around with my current WIP because those characters were just circling around each other feeling angsty and not getting anywhere. So I printed out the first one hundred pages of my first manuscript and started to go through it but it just felt 'ugh'. There was just too much to do with it and I stopped after the first twenty pages, already exhausted by the task. Then I felt like a weak sister and I decided to go over one of my other pieces and that one just started to sing as soon as I began to polish it. I flew through it and finished today. Yeah for me! James and Evelyn go through a lot together in this book and they were such fun characters to get to know. I hope that it will be published some day and other people can get to know them as well.
Now I have to decide what editors to contact and prepare myself for the waiting and rejection game. It is just a lovely feeling to have your work on display to people you don't know and then check your email every day with a combination of anticipation and dread for weeks and weeks.
But there has been a good side-effect of this editing; I now have several ideas and scenes set for my previous WIP and I am anxious to get back to it and see where it goes. It is forty thousand words long at this point and my poor characters deserve something good to happen to them soon!